Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

What should be done pain and nausea due to stricture of the sphincter with obstruction?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Sphincter of oddi is contracted and common bile duct is dilated. Just got very sudden sharp pain and nausea. Should i go to the ER?
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 22 minutes later
Hi young lady, How did you come to know of the oddi's contraction? ultrasound? If the contraction is confirmed, you should consult your ER at the earliest. Otherwise, you will develop severe problems very soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What should be done pain and nausea due to stricture of the sphincter with obstruction? 0 minute later
I had an MRCP that confirmed thw bile duct and sphincter problems. The pain is unbearable right now along with severe nausea. Should i go to the ER?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consult your ER IMMEDIATELY, before it worsens Detailed Answer: OK. Your symptoms are suggestive of stricture of the sphincter with obstruction to the flow of bile and pancreatic digestive enzymes into the intestine. If untreated, you are likely to have inflammation of Pancreas (Acute Pancreatitis- a serious condition); jaundice or, inflammation of the Gall bladder. The condition warrants IMMEDIATE consultation with your ER, who will hospitalize you for further evaluation and emergency treatment. A surgery might be required to open up the sphincter, which will release the built-up pressure and resumption of bile + pancreatic enzymes' flow into the intestine. Don't take it lightly. Rush to the ER immediately, before the situation becomes out of control. ORAL MEDICINES WILL NOT SHOW ANY RESPONSE. All the best, young lady. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor