What should be done in severe diarrhea?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: what can b done severs diarea
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome.

Unfortunately, there is little to do in severe radiation colitis. For control of side effects of radiation therapy, treatment has to be stopped. If done so, then there is high chance that cancer will increase in size.

Depending on stage of cancer and your response to therapy, we can stop radiation for few days. But it is complex decision, which can be taken by your radiotherapist only.

Therefore, it will be better if you talk with your physician and ask for help.

Hopefully you are satisfied with my answer. Any further doubts will be discussed in follow up.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
sir the radiation is over chemotherapy is also over since 8 months the operation was to b done to close the colostomy but unfortuneatly the place frm where the stool is naturally discharged has narrowed due to radiation n there is strickture in the latest report of ct scan there is no cancer only uncontrllable diarea the patient become week due to the continious discharge o f stool in colostomy bag 2 times dilestion is done upto 18 baloon process by taking immudin the taste of the mouth has gone away
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 15 minutes later

Please let me know, when radiation was stopped. If before 8 months, then how recent CT scan shows radiation colitis.

I think, due to previous treatment immune status of patient has weakened so much, that opportunistic infection has occurred in intestine. It is the only reason why there is continuous diarrhea. In addition, stricture is not associated with diarrhea; it should be associated with constipation.

If possible, please upload CT scan report, so that I can guide you properly. You have a feature to upload the reports by the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

Thanking you.

Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 7 hours later
I have uploaded the CT Scan report.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later

I have gone through CT scan report. There is calcified lesion seen at rectum and anal canal. However, it is not clearly a stricture. In addition, it is suggestive of radiation colitis at all.

I think diarrhea is only due to decrease in immune status and opportunistic infection. It should be treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics.

Hope your query is answered satisfactorily.

Regards.