Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

What should be done for sudden rise in blood sugar and diarrhea in a type tow diabetic?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
My mother n law's blood sugar was below 20. She is 84 and a type two diabetic. We gave her XXXXXXX juice and chocolate candy. Now she has diarrhea and blood sugar of 498. What should we do?
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Medications & food habbit needs monitoring.Insulin Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. The variation in blood sugar from 20 to 498 may be due to the effect of the medications and her food habits. I want more information on her medications currently taking and also about her food habits which will help in further discussion. Since she is 84 and suffering from diarrhea better to start with insulin therapy based on her blood sugar values and the calories of food intake. This will prevent fluctuations of blood sugar levels and maintain normal values. Now since her sugar level is 498, get checked for urine ketone bodies and you can give her regular insulin subcutaneously to reduce sugar levels. You need to consult your doctor to plan for further management. For diarrhea, if she is dehydrated or suffering from fever / pain abdomen / dehydration or any other problem other than increased frequency of stool then better to consult your doctor for examination once. She requires treatment based on the clinical features. If no other complaints then give her ORS and capsule racecodotril which will prevent dehydration and also frequency. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask any further related queries and I will be glad to help you. Wish your mother in law's a good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor