question-icon

What should be done for psychosis caused after Prednisolone intake?

Posted on Fri, 25 Jul 2014
Question: My elderly dad took 8 x 5mg dosage of prednisolone which were prescribed for him for chest infection and after that first dosage he had a full blown physosis event raging and shouting and fighting will have to stop this medication at once as he is danger to himself
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into the problem I would like to tell you that considering your present state I would recommend to stop the medicine at once . He will need to be taken to emergency services as sometimes acute pneumonia also can lead to confusion and psychosis . Plus hyponatremia and hypokalemia can also lead to this kind of manifestation which can be cause by drug or disease itself and will require correction .All this will require investigations .

Please seek medical care at the earliest.

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist