Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

What should be done for calf pain after accidental fall?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
I fell on ice today and at the time it hurt so bad I thought I was going to vomit. I then got up and did a four mile hike with pain in my calf. It hurts to walk but I can put weight on my leg. It hurts some even when sitting. Think it is a pulled muscle or do I need to go get an X-ray?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rather than xray clinical evaluation is needed. Detailed Answer: Hello, Since you where able to complete 4 mile hike and also can bear weight , possibility of fracture seems less likely. But soft tissue like tendons or ligaments might have got injured.So with details I wont recommend xray strongly. So ideal step would be to let doctor have a look at it and then decide about xray. Other alternative method is take pain killers, apply ice, elevate leg and apply compression.If this helps to relieve symptoms in two-three days.No need to see doctor or getting xray done. Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor