Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

What should be done for PVCs?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
hello i am a 50 year old who recently started to have pvcs went to hospital did ekg showed up but Dr said cant see much to be concerned about went to family Dr she ordered 24hr heart moniter still have them for about 4 weeks now they wake me up at night should i be concerned?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Probably NOT! Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic These beats are common and often may be normal. Yet it is advisable to have it investigated. Anaemia / Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco (smoking) / Caffeine (too much tea, coffee, cola) / Fever / Infection / Pain / Stress / Thyroid / Medicines like Phenylephrine used for ‘cold’ / may be responsible.... At times, abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) or disease of the conduction system may be responsible! A thorough history and physical examination is the first step – ECG (Electrocardiogram / EKG) – Routine 12-lead – is part of clinical examination. HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring) is done to analyse and plan for further management, if a routine ECG does not show. It may also detect silent (no symptom) ischemia. ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (Mitral Valve Prolapse) / heart muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality) / clots... TMT – Treadmill exercise ECG; may be with thallium isotope – is necessary to evaluate ischemia (reduced blood flow / Coronary Artery Disease) If there are no clues and if the problem is still bothering to the extent of interfering with life style, there are advanced techniques of investigations – Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > The test is the gold standard, but it is INVASIVE and hence is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST. Since it is a month now / you have no other complaint like pain, breathlessness and so on / you may only need an ECHO and follow up.. The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation. Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What should be done for PVCs? 4 hours later
Thank you so much DR, i had been sick with a very bad cold cough etc for about 3 weeks prior and was taking amoxillin I started getting these pvcs about 2 days after starting amoxillin could that be the cause or being sick with cold that may have triggered them and can pvcs that occur on a dail basis damage the heart and lead to other heart problems or elevate blood presure thank you . I am up at 2 am now from them .
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You may benefit from Beta-blockers Detailed Answer: Hi, It is NOT likely from Amoxicillin PVCs do NOT damage the heart PVCs do NOT lead to blood pressure Sickness or the drugs might have triggered it… These ectopic beats are not always symptomatic. / The feeling depends on individual sensitivity – some do not feel them at all / some may feel every beat. Specific treatment may not always be necessary. Many cases of palpitation are benign, especially when associated with normal ECHO and may not require treatment... If you also have symptoms like blurred vision, dizziness, loss of consciousness, shortness of breath, chest pain along with this, you need urgent work up The first line medicine is generally beta blockers, like Metoprolol – slow release and small dose. It will benefit missed beats (also pressure and anxiety)... If they are not effective and if the problem is severe, several other classes of drugs are available – acting by different mechanisms - the specialist will decide tailored to your needs / they could have side effects and need follow up. YOUR DOCTOR WILL GIVE PROPER PRESCRIPTION AND FOLLOW UP Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor