What should be done after removing a piece of metal from wrist area?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: I got something in my wrist, which after a little digging with a pocket knife (I sterilized it with alcohol and heated it also) I got the piece of metal out. It had formed a raised area, but I figured it was best to get it out. I boiled the area out with peroxide, and then put alcohol on it. Would it be better to bandage the area, or leave it open?? It hurts a little, but nothing too bad. I am going to apply a liberal amount of neosporin on the area,....
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to take antibiotics and dressing

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think you have not done right by doing all these your self. These type of procedures should be done by doctor in operation theatre.
Now I have following advise for you.
1.Daily dressing with antiseptic cream should be done by trained staff.
2.Daily antibiotics should be taken.
3.Avoid dust or water near the wound.
It will take at least seven days in complete healing. I hope you do not do such thing in future as it can cause damage to nerves and vessels.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks

Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 4 hours later
I agree I should have gone to a doctor, but I was out of town. I was careful to sterilize my pocket knife by heating it until it was red, letting it cool, and then covering it with hand sanitizer. I can only get an appointment with my primary care doctor on July 5th. I will cover the wound with band-aid that have antibiotics cream in them and apply Neosporin. Thanks very much.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wish you a good health

Detailed Answer:
I hope this will heal soon. Make sure that it is not getting infected. If there is any fever or increase in pain then you might need to see a doctor as soon as possible.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement