What should be done after consumption of toxic substance in food?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Healthy Living
Question: May I ask somewhat odd question. Now I got the counsel for the OCD.
While I eating fastfood in restaurant I found some material not famiiar to me.
2days after I visit same restaurant and eat same food. but there was no same material that found in 2days ago. After that event, I though what was that?. what if that substance is fatal to health...etc... Of course that though is very unrealistic..becuase I am still arrive...
after that I found Chemical substances and food materila that could have toxin or dangerous. But I am very counfused. Would you pls. tell me that what I want to know.
If I eat some chemical substance which have toxin, is it possible for that substance to act later or act now but very slowly so I cannot know now.
I now that our body has the funtion the detox the toxin, would you pls. explain me that what if our body fail to detox and cannot eliminate it in body. What happen.
and Last, After some toxin attack cell or organ, that volum is still same or smller than first.
If I know that materils, I don't need to worry, But becuase I don't know toxicity or body mechanisem that I am very curious.
As far as I know that fatal toxin do act right after eating or breathing. Do you think it is possible to act some bad effect in later only after eating one time...
I know this thining is very unrealistic and odd. Pls explain me with more scientic backgound. Sorry to ask odd question. Thank you .
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
its unlikely to be poisoning

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

Its very unlikely to be poisoning as after so many days after eating something.

Yes there are certain chemicals that can cause slow effect, but with just one dose its very unlikely. It needs repeated exposure.

Its just in your mind that you have taken some poisonous chemical. Its nothing like that. So just relax. Such dangerous chemicals are not so easily available in market nor in restaurants. The change in taste may be due to many other reasons.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your answer. May I ask last one.
As for the mad cow disease, It happen after 10-20yrs after eating meat. I know it is totally different eating chemical material with toxin.
pls. explain me that why toxin cannot do this (one time eating and after 10yr, the symptom appears such as mad cow disease) Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
chemicals don't multiply

Detailed Answer:

Mad cow disease is caused by prions, a type of infective protein that after entering the body of the cow, starts multiplying inside to increase its number to cause harm to it. This replication process takes years.

And such replication process is not possible with toxins and chemicals. On entering the body, the body detoxification system (the liver mainly) removes them from the blood and body.

So, don't you worry about any disease happening to you after single ingestion of some chemical.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Deepika Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj