What should I do to control hair fall?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Hair Loss
Question: My question is related to hair fall. How can i control it.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Welcome to XXXXXXX
Most common cause of hairloss in your age is either male pattern baldness or diffuse hair loss.
Male pattern baldness is caused by hormonal imbalance.

Due to increase inactivity of enzyme 5 alfa reductase at the base of hair ,the testosterone is converted to dihydrotestesterone (DHT).This extra DHT causes thinning of hairs and hair fall called miniaturization.

It is usually seen in 3 or fourth decade of life life.

But can begin in 2nd decade itself.

Only two medication are FDA approved for male pattern baldness.
1.Minoxidil
2.Finasteride.

You should apply Minoxidil 5% lotion 1ml twice daily .
It is available as Morr F lotion.

Also Tab finalo 1mg(finasteride tablet) per day is advisable.

Also a newer drug called saw palmetto is available .Which acts like finasteride and is side effect free.

Saw palmetto gel and tablets are now available in india.
You should take it daily.

As the condition is hormonal treatment has to be long term.
At least 1.5 to 2 years treatment is needed to halt the changes and reverse the hair loss.

In addition to this you can apply ketoconazole lotio thrice a week at night on scalp.KEEP IT OVERNIGHT AND WASH IT IN MORNING.     Use ketoconazole shampoo.It reduces the hairfall by its antiandrogenic property.

Along with these drugs Multivitamins can be used .(provided it should have zinc , copper ,biotin)

Cap keraglo men has all the hair nutrients.Take one capsule per day.

maintain good health and diet to supplement it.
You already are on very healthy diet. Continue it.
In general measures you should
- avoid stress, maintain good diet ,adequate sleep,regular exercise.Keeping good general health will add to treatment.

-Take one fruit every day.Take lemon juice and other citrous foods as they are XXXXXXX in vitamin C and anti oxidants.

-Do not comb when hairs are wet.

-Use widely spaced comb with rounded teeth(not sharp ends).

-Avoid hot water for bathing(use lukewarm water)

-Avoid hardening gels/ harsh colors/chemicals on scalp.

-Avoid direct sunexposure/heat/wind exposure to your hair.

-You can use nizoral shampoo for hair wash.

DERMAROLLER , STEM CELL and mesotherapy are very effective treatment .If you want results to last longer.

Dermaroller is the latest procedure with very good results.

These are available at dermatology clinics.

If you need further clarification do let me know.

DrSudarshan
Dermatologist