What should I do to control hair fall and promote hair growth?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Hair Loss
Question: I like to know about the hair loss what i am encountering now. I want to stop it . Please suggest correct habits to stop the hair fall and growth of new hair
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to us. To help you out, I would like you to answer below mentioned questions-
1) pattern of hair fall- diffuse, round oval patches, hair fall from frontal, temporal or centre of the scalp.
2) duration of hair loss
3) underlying cause- prolonged illness, fever, stress, surgery, nutritional deficiency, anaemia thyroid disorder, chemical hair treatment
4) scalp pathology like dandruff, psoriasis etc
5) medicines taken so far to treat hair fall
Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 16 hours later
1 ) hair fall from frontal.
2) for last one year.
3) I XXXXXXX have any such disease.
4) I XXXXXXX have dandruff . I have smooth hair.
5) no medicine soo far
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
It seems in all probability, you are having a pattern of hair fall known as androgenetic alopecia( male pattern baldness)
The cause for this type of hair fall is genetic as well as hormonal( testosterone converts more to its active form 5 DHT)
To treat the same, you may start with scalp application of minoxidil 5 percent solution along with tablet finesteride.
The treatment needs to be continued for 4 to 6 months to see response in terms of decreased hair fall and hair re growth. To maintain the hair re growth, treatment has to be taken for prolonged period.

As both the above are prescription drugs, I would encourage you to visit a dermatologist nearby. That would also ensure a proper follow up to see the response that you are having with these drugs.
In case not much response is seen, you may also discuss the options of scalp mesotherapy with minoxidil, stem cell factor or platelet XXXXXXX plasma.
Hope that answers your query. Should there be more, I would be happy to assist you.