Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

What should I do if I have sharp back pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12760 Questions
Hello Dr.,

I noticed sharp pain in the lower of my back spreading all the way to the mid part, I barely can walk, or move. I had a dance class yesterday and I believe I overdid it.First it started as a mild muscle strain. I also have a back pain history, a discus hernia . I took advil and heated with a heating pad but it is not getting any better. What should I do, I need to get better asap. Thank you, Karolina
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

If you have a history of disc hernia, then you should not put an extra stress on your back.

Taking advil alone has not helped you. You need to take a good muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside after consulting with your orthopaedician. Adding a methylcobalamin supplement will also help in improvement.

The other measures that can help you include:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some good analgesics prescribed like tramadol and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. If you have any more queries, I will be available for further follow up.

Wish you good health. Advocate to daily exercises for a healthy spine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor