Ask a Urologist   »  

What should I do if I have bloody stool and excessive gas?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
I am 88, diagnosed with prostate cancer, 2010, took Lupron for a year and 42 doses of IMRT. Since then my PSA has been between .2 and .3, so in remission I presume. Several times in the past year, I experienced a lengthy bout of intestinal gas, for several minutes, ending in much gas, heavy traces of red blood, no fecal material, but some bloody particles. A normal BM occasionally shows a trace but sometimes not. Is the gas causing the bleeding or is the bleeding source causing the gas? What is going on? XXXXXXX
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult Gastroenterologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .Based on the facts that you have posted frequent episodes of bleeding per rectum and flatulence that you have since one year are not related to your previous illness of Prostate Cancer which is completely cured and is most likely to be due to pathology in colon .

You need to consult qualified Gastroenterologist for clinical assessment and get following basic tests done to establish cause for these symptoms .
1) Stool examination and stool culture
2) Colonoscopy .

Further treatment will depend upon the results of these tests and final diagnosis .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil