What purpose does Cytotec serve?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Dr. Ramadevi Wani,

I understand what you meant now and agree that I was fit for this surgery. I'm not questioning that at all. I appreciate all your advice.

My question is - I was not explained by my doctor the reasons why I should take cytotec. Those two pills were given to me wrapped in a napkin and put in a envelope. the doctor just said to take them.two hours before a procedure and only mentioned that there could be pain from the medication when I called her that I was already in horrible pain..
Do you know of any reason why a doctor who knows my history with bad pain from.fibroids would prescribe this before hystercopy procedure which was only supposed to take 15 minutes?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use of Cytotec makes the procedure easy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back.

The diagnostic hysteroscope is about 3.5 mm in diameter. Cytotec softens the neck of the womb (cervix) and makes the insertion of hysteroscope is easy. That is the reason for prescribing it to you.

In most women it causes mild cramps which can be relieved by using Tylenol. Very few women get severe cramps similar to what you suffered.

Presence of fibroids is not a contraindication to the use of Cytotec.

If you have further concerns do write to me.

Best wishes,
Dr Ramadevi Wani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak