• question-icon

    What precautions should be taken when suffering from mumps?

Posted on Tue, 30 Sep 2014 in Infections
Question: Hi, my name is XXXXXXX and want to ask about my wife's health. she has mumps which began since last wednesday, was swelled neck and half face from from the rigjt side she had been putting therapeutic ice pack in the swollen part, and the doctor gave her an antibiotic ciproflox, she took it 3 days and then stop it, and ibuprofen but no relief then changed to naproxen. but so far the swelling and pain stop. also crying right eye.
Worth mentioning that she has diabetes and is taking pravastatin sodium and metformin hcl, she is also allergic to penicillin
Answered by Dr. Arun 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No treatment for mumps, take care of other members

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Thank you for your contact to healthcare magic. I am Dr. Arun Tank & I am infectious disease specialist. I am going to handle your health query.

- Mumps is caused by paramyxovirus group of virus. It is highly contagious disease and it is notifiable disease in some of the countries. It is mostly observed in children and very rare therafter.

-Actually the mumps has no specific treatment. Though it is viral infection antiviral treatment is not given in mumps. It is a self limiting disease(It will cured by their own) Only antibiotics is given to prevent secondary infection which doctor had already given you. You can take analgesics as and when required.

-Only problem with mumps is its propensity to cause nonspecific inflammation of various organs. like salpingitis, oophoritis, episcleritis. Most severe one is the meningitis, meningoencephalitis. If you notice such a inflammation or sign of such a inflammation immediately contact the ER.

-You can use Icepacks as you are using it will help in pain. Be aware as it is a contagious other home member may get infected if they are not previously infected. I also advice to take vaccination of other home member. Do not eat lemon it will stimulate the gland and cause more pain to you.

If you have anything else to ask you can contact me. I will be glad to answer your concern. We wish you a best health at healthcare magic. Please close the answer and rate me five star if I given satisfied answer.

Thank you.
Dr. Arun Tank

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Answered by
Dr. Arun

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 2434 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Notifiable disease

doctor1 MD

Hello doc Whose the best doctor to deal with Tb in subcutaneous.already took treatment for 1 year of akt 4 but Tb resurfaced ..pls guide the best...

doctor1 MD

My husband and I woke up to leg pain the day before yesterday. It felt like the morning after of a really tough workout. We're both experiencing...

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from spinal tb(D6-D7) from last four months ,As no relief in pain was noticed ,taking AKT4 during first three months...

doctor1 MD

My elder sister is diagnosed with gland TB and is taking medication for few months now. However, the medication is causing more damages to her than...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

156 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Arun
  • Q - What causes bleeding under skin after taking Depo-medrol injection?

  • Q - Is Suboxone when consumed detectable in a urine test?

  • Q - What does negative 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, antibody elisa test suggest?

  • Q - What causes chronic cough?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for dry cough

  • Q - What causes pain in scrotum?

  • Q - What causes fever, eye discomfort and body pains?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for blisters on labia

  • Q - Is herpes transmission possible after performing cunnulingus?

  • Q - What causes black spots in semen?