• question-icon

What precautions should be taken when suffering from mumps?

Posted on Tue, 30 Sep 2014 in Infections
Question: Hi, my name is XXXXXXX and want to ask about my wife's health. she has mumps which began since last wednesday, was swelled neck and half face from from the rigjt side she had been putting therapeutic ice pack in the swollen part, and the doctor gave her an antibiotic ciproflox, she took it 3 days and then stop it, and ibuprofen but no relief then changed to naproxen. but so far the swelling and pain stop. also crying right eye.
Worth mentioning that she has diabetes and is taking pravastatin sodium and metformin hcl, she is also allergic to penicillin
Answered by Dr. Arun 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No treatment for mumps, take care of other members

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Thank you for your contact to healthcare magic. I am Dr. Arun Tank & I am infectious disease specialist. I am going to handle your health query.

- Mumps is caused by paramyxovirus group of virus. It is highly contagious disease and it is notifiable disease in some of the countries. It is mostly observed in children and very rare therafter.

-Actually the mumps has no specific treatment. Though it is viral infection antiviral treatment is not given in mumps. It is a self limiting disease(It will cured by their own) Only antibiotics is given to prevent secondary infection which doctor had already given you. You can take analgesics as and when required.

-Only problem with mumps is its propensity to cause nonspecific inflammation of various organs. like salpingitis, oophoritis, episcleritis. Most severe one is the meningitis, meningoencephalitis. If you notice such a inflammation or sign of such a inflammation immediately contact the ER.

-You can use Icepacks as you are using it will help in pain. Be aware as it is a contagious other home member may get infected if they are not previously infected. I also advice to take vaccination of other home member. Do not eat lemon it will stimulate the gland and cause more pain to you.

If you have anything else to ask you can contact me. I will be glad to answer your concern. We wish you a best health at healthcare magic. Please close the answer and rate me five star if I given satisfied answer.

Thank you.
Dr. Arun Tank

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Arun

Infectious Diseases Specialist