What precautions should be taken during childbirth when diagnosed with HSV1 infection?

Dr. Saul Weinreb

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I got hsv1 gential about 8 or 9 years ago. Im currently pregnant. I just wanted to know what procedures i should take during labor and delivery.ive heard that the heart scalp monitor could be dangerous because it could transmit the virus. Im scared to give the virus to my baby. I know if i dont have an outbreak i can deliver vaginally but im scared about the whole shedding part. Should i just do a c section?
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you do not need to be concerned as long as you are not having an outbreak

Detailed Answer:
thank you so much for your question. I will do my best to help you.

as long as you are not having an outbreak at the time of delivery, you do not need to be worried about transmission to the baby. you can also take anti viral medication like Valtrex to reduce the likelihood of transmission and reduce the likelihood of an outbreak. there is no clear evidence that a scalp electrode would be dangerous, however, you can certainly ask your doctor not to place an electrode if you are concerned.

remember that a c-section is a surgery and has slightly higher risk than a vaginal delivery. it is usually better to have a natural delivery whenever possible. if you are not having an outbreak, I would suggest that there is no reason not to have a vaginal delivery.

I hope this helps. please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D