• question-icon

What precautions should be taken after cholesteatoma surgery?

Posted on Thu, 3 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: What are the best things to do while recovering from cholesteatoma surgery?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please take rest!! Detailed Answer: Hello I am presuming from your complaints that you had ear discharge and you were operated for cholesteatoma. I would like to know when was the surgery done and what was the exact name of the surgery? here are a few general precautions which you must follow after ear surgery like you should keep the ear dry and avoid water entry or swimming You should meet your doctor regularly for cleaning the ear and follow up You should avoid all situations which can cause a cold as this will also infect your ear and cause pus discharge You should avoid air travel for atleast 3-4 weeks and avoid lifting heavy weights and straining. there are no dietary restrictions! Take care!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 3 hours later
Surgery was tympanoplasty, mastoid, canalplasty surgery-adult\ Also, the surgery was performed Tuesday, March 4, 2014 in Tampa, FL USA
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Rest is it all it needs for recovery Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the information!! I have already told you most of the precautions but would like to add a few more things like Please do not strain or shake your head too much and try to rest as much as possible. Please follow your doctor's advice and take your medications properly. You will also need to go for regular check up to look for the healing and recurrence of the disease. Please let me know if you have any other doubts. Thanks Get well soon!!!
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist