What precaution should be taken to avoid dengue?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: what is the precautionary steps to be taken to avoid dengu
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Dengue is caused by viral infection known as arboviruses.
These viruses are spread from one person to other by bite of infected mosquito of aedes egypti type.

The disease is not directly transmitted from person to person.

At present, there is no specific treatment. No vaccine is current available.
The only method of controlling or preventing Dengue Fever is to combat the vector mosquitoes of Aedes species.

- Proper solid waste disposal, elimination of stagnant water in domestic environment and improved water storage practices.
-Do not allow any water stagnation near household.
-Cover all the water tanks/drums/cans that you have in and around house.
-Aerosol and liquid spray has to be applied directly to the adult mosquito for effective killing, e.g. household Spray like HIT should be used once a day.

-Mosquito coil and electric mosquito mat/ liquid has to be placed near possible entrance, such as window, for mosquito.
-Wear long-sleeved clothes and long trousers when going outdoors.
-Bodies could be protected from mosquito bite by applying insect repellent (containing DEET) on the clothes and exposed part of the body especially when you travel to Dengue Fever endemic areas.

-Mosquito bednet could be used when the room is not air-conditioned.

-Anti mosquito vaporiser like ALLOUT should be kept on even in day time.
Odomas like mosquito repellent should be used while going out of home when you are going to possible crowded and mosquito prone areas.

Using the above advise you can stay protected from Dengue.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

DrSudarshan