What pain reliever is best for ear infections?
Needs ENT specialist review and otoscopic examination
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.
Based on the history you have shared, it can be middle ear infection but any damage to hear drum etc should be ruled out. It's better to get an ENT specialist review before traveling and get a detailed otoscopic examination to look for any structural damages or any lesion requiring surgical intervention.
Meanwhile oral antibiotics like coamoxiclav can be continued but adding metronidazole can be of benefit. Local drops containing ciprofloxacin if combined with local anesthetic like lidocaine or anti inflammatory drugs can reduce pain.
OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can also be continued. Keeping it dry and using cotton buds is recommended. Chewing bubble gum on the affected side can also be of help as well.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Yes you can follow after coming back
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Yes seems ok to keep a follow up after two weeks while giving time to the antibiotics to work. Some precautions which needs to be followed include putting ear plugs or cotton buds to avoid direct pressure differences affect the ear. The pressure differences during take off and landing are sometimes huge enough to trouble the ears so by chewing bubble gum during the time keeps eustachian tube open and keeps inner and outer pressures in a balance. Putting ear plugs help too. Regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?