What pain reliever is best for ear infections?

Question
Hi. I have a pain in my left ear. I went to the doc and he said it was an ear infection. He gave me cipro drops and and antibiotic. It has been 5 days and the pain is still there only it feels different. Like its in the outside of my ear not on the inside. I am flying on Friday and want to know if I should go back to the doc before I leave or just hope that it goes away after the 10 dosage of pills and drops?

Thu, 14 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs ENT specialist review and otoscopic examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be middle ear infection but any damage to hear drum etc should be ruled out. It's better to get an ENT specialist review before traveling and get a detailed otoscopic examination to look for any structural damages or any lesion requiring surgical intervention.

Meanwhile oral antibiotics like coamoxiclav can be continued but adding metronidazole can be of benefit. Local drops containing ciprofloxacin if combined with local anesthetic like lidocaine or anti inflammatory drugs can reduce pain.

OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can also be continued. Keeping it dry and using cotton buds is recommended. Chewing bubble gum on the affected side can also be of help as well.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: What pain reliever is best for ear infections? 4 hours later
I don't have cancellation insurance for my trip but I am going back to the doctor in the morning. I'll ask him to give me a different antibiotic and get everything checked out in 2 weeks when I get back. Hopefully it will have cleared up itself by then. Any advice for the plane ride? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can follow after coming back

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Yes seems ok to keep a follow up after two weeks while giving time to the antibiotics to work. Some precautions which needs to be followed include putting ear plugs or cotton buds to avoid direct pressure differences affect the ear. The pressure differences during take off and landing are sometimes huge enough to trouble the ears so by chewing bubble gum during the time keeps eustachian tube open and keeps inner and outer pressures in a balance. Putting ear plugs help too. Regards