What numbness in the feet?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: MY FEET HAVE NO BLOOD FLOW AT YHE BALL OF MY FEET
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions so that I can help:

Detailed Answer:

Can you please tell me more about this:

1.When did this start?

2.How do you know that you have no blood flow?

3.Did an injury occur recently?

4.Do you have any ongoing illnesses such as diabetes, blood clotting abnormalities, etc?

Are you taking any daily medications?

5.Do you have new shoes? Is this occurring even when your feet are out of the shoes and you have been walking around?

6.Is there any swelling above the area that you feel has no blood flow?

Thanks - information will follow after I hear back.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 27 minutes later
5 MONTH AGO THE BALLS OF MY FEET HAS NO FEELING AT BALL NO INJURY NO ILLESS SERODS NO NEW SHOES SOMETIME I HAVE TO WATER PILLS
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
If your feet are warm to the touch, and there is no discoloration (excessively white, or blue), then the problem may be with the peripheral nerves that provide sensation to the area.

Regardless, it's time to go in to have this evaluated. Your doctor will examine the pulses in your ankles (posterior tibialis) and in the top of your foot (dorsalis pedis). He/she will likely press on your skin of the feet to check for capillary refill. And do a neuro exam (with a brush and with something sharp) to assess your level of sensation.

The next step would be to get a doppler (ultrasound) of your legs/feet to assess blood flow.

And get your blood sugar and thyroid function checked via blood tests.

In the meantime, keep your feet warm and protected as they are more vulnerable to injury if you don't have normal sensation in them.

If you are willing, please let me now how you are doing after you have been evaluated.