What might the following be suggestive of: Enlarged liver ,
Hepatic steatosis most likely.
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
His symptoms can be a sign of hepatic steatosis. In easy words it could be suggestive of mild fat deposition in liver termed as fatty liver.Most like he is having non alcoholic age related fatty liver.As age of a person increases fat began's to accumulate in various parts of body like blood vessels(atherosclerosis) or liver(fatty liver),Its very natural and a part of process called aging. However in some patients usually obese,drinkers or adults these changes may be there more frequently.
The amount of fatty acid in the liver depends on the balance between the processes of delivery and removal.As the age increases the number of transporter cells which carry fat from liver to peripheral parts(for utilization decreases);Causing increased deposition of these fatty acids in liver.
Liver produces many enzymes and hence loss in appetite could be due to fatty liver.As appetite loses lean muscles would be lost.He should take liver rejenuvators like milk of thistle and antioxidants daily.External digestive enzymes could also be taken.
low BUN/creatinine ratio etc could be a sign of poor blood supply to kidney.Blood is pumped into body by heart.As described above atherosclerosis of heart and kidney could be responsible for that.
As he is 60 few tests should be done-
Scan of liver-reports awaited.
Renal Doppler to look for blood supply and kidney functions.
Ecg and 2 d echo to look for proper functioning of heart.
Mild decrease in platelets make no clinical sense however if platelets are less then 1.5 million/mm cube then mention.
Follow up with reports of ultrasound.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain
- What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?
- Suggest treatment for chronic vomiting when diagnosed with gastroenteritis
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs
- Is Rabeprazole an effective medication for reflux esophagitis?
- What causes excessive burping and abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain
- Suggest natural treatment for severe acid reflux
- What causes black stool?
- What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?