Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

What might cause pain in leg muscles with history of clots?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 2653 Questions
hi i was in hospital in XXXXXXX with clots in both legs and red spots in lungs, before i found out i had clots my legs were swollen but i didnt pay attention to it, my fault. today i have bad pain in back of right leg in muscle. what can it be?
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
possibilities explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.
I really appreciate your concern

The history you described and your hospital admission indicates a DVT.
Your current symptoms could be muscle pain but considering your previous history a DVT must be ruled out first

DVT is the formation of a blood clot in a deep vein, usually in a calf or thigh muscle. DVT can partly or completely block blood flow. they may be caused by prolonged immobility or thrombophilia.

Half of all DVT cases cause no symptoms. If you do have any of the DVT symptoms below -- especially if they occur suddenly -- call your doctor right away:

Swelling in one or both legs
Pain or tenderness in one or both legs, which may occur only while standing or walking
Warmth in the skin of the affected leg
Red or discolored skin in the affected leg
Visible surface veins
Leg fatigue

If a blood clot breaks free and travels to your lungs, it's called a pulmonary embolism, and it can be fatal. Pulmonary embolism may not cause symptoms, but if you ever suffer sudden coughing, which may bring up blood; sharp chest pain; rapid breathing or shortness of breath; or severe lightheadedness, call emergency services or go to an emergency room immediately.

I would initially advise you

Doppler ultrasound lower limbs
D dimers

if any clot is detected or embolism is suspected then

Chest Spiral CT scan and V/Q scan may also be done.

let me know if you have any query
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor