What might be causing episodes of numbness in my left arm and leg?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have numbness in my left arm and left leg with no pain in either and no numbness or pain in left side of the neck or left foot....no stomach pain, sweating or dizziness. What is the cause of the numbness? The numbness comes and goes and it could be hours between episodes. I took two Bayer Back and Body (500 mg)
pills and the numbness went away within 30 minutes. I have never felt this numbness except in the last several days.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Early onset neuropathy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.

I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Such type of one sided numbness is often a result of neuritis/neuropathy (inflammation of nerves).

Usually deficiency of either of the B vitamin is responsible for this. Vitamin B 12 is found to be less in such cases.

Taking Vitamin B 12 would give good results.You can add a anti- inflammatory tablet like Paracetamol to hasten the recovery process.

Other causes of numbness are nervous system related and you should consult a neurologist if you see no improvement in the symptoms within the next 5 days.

I hope the answer was useful.

Dr. Mahaveer Patil , Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana