Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What medicine will help me to relieve pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Yes. I live in Kentucky. I have numerous spine problems, arthritis, fibromyalgia, overall malaise. A neurosurgeon in Nashville, TN has recommended 3 back surgeries, but I have to take care of bleeding ulcers first. I was going to a pain specialist in Clarksville, TN, and when he drug tested me, I came up positive for several controlled substances, including Meth and Ritalin. I HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN THESE DRUGS, LET ALONE TAKEN THEM! I assume the lab made a mistake, but the MD still dismissed me, and refused to order any narcotics for me. I am screaming in pain. I ran out yesterday. I was taking 10 mg Lortab tid, Morphine 60 mg bid. I AM NOT A DRUG ADDICT, I AM 64 YEARS OLD AND A RETIRED HEALTH CARE ADMINISTRATOR. But I have had tib/fib fx, both legs, crushed ankle, both arms broken, numerous spinal injuries. HOW DO I GET MEDICATION THAT WILL TAKE THE EDGE OFF THE PAIN TO THE POINT THAT I CAN HAVE AS NEAR A QUALITY OF LIFE AS POSSIBLE? The laws are going to turn well educated, retired professional people into criminals!
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Holistic approach Detailed Answer: Hi, Chronic use of pain medications can cause gastric ulcers and then they can bleed. We commonly hear such patients testing positive for Meth even though they had not used it earlier. Some of the drug testing agents cross react to give false positive results. I understand you. It is not easy to procure pain medication with the strict law regulations. Technically speaking you were taking the best pain killers yet in the form of Morphine and a very strict dose twice a day. If this could not help control the pain most MD's suspect it to psychological or somatic disorder than actual pain. So it may be helpful for you to start over again with a new pain specialist. At the same time you should understand to increase the pain threshold. You should rely on other approach to manage pain effectively. Massage therapy, acupuncture/accupressure / Biofeedback are effective to reduce the pain intensity or increase the pain threshold. The new MD's pain management along with the other holistic approach may ease your pain partially. Do not let the records to be transferred to this new doctor he may understand that you were rejected by the previous doctor for pain medicine. This is not the right age to be depressed. Mild antidepressants would help you. Depression adds to the pain intolerance.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What medicine will help me to relieve pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia? 13 hours later
Thank you, Doctor. I did not add that my gastroenterologist prescribed Carafate and nexium after the surgery for GERD and hiatal hernia. Morphine did help a great deal, but I cannot find a doctor who will prescribe narcotics since this false lab report came back. The laws have not hurt the street addicts; I could still probably get it that way if I wanted to associate with those people, but I do NOT. The laws have hurt the XXXXXXX citizens with a CD full of MRI's which document that the injuries ARE real. But MD's will tell me "off the record" that they realize they underprescribe narcotics, but they put themselves in danger. You are right that acupuncture and massage therapy help tremendously (temporarily). But we retirees cannot afford it on a regular basis and our insurance does not pay for it. BTW, I do take Cymbalta and Xanax for depression & anxiety attacks.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue medicines and explore new doctors Detailed Answer: I can get into your shoes and understand the situation. I do not think I can add any value to my previous answer now. As I search or listen to other experts who speak about this I may have some more ideas. I can get back to you. Continue taking Cymbalta and xanax. Meanwhile keep calling other doctors if they can accept you case and you can pay by cash.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor