Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

What medicine should I take for asthma?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Allergist and Immunologist
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 584 Questions
Hi , My name is XXXXXXX.I came from India three months back and now I am in Broomfield , United States .I have asthma and I took medicine from India but it is going to finish in few days and I think it is not working so good here as it was in India. May be because of the climate change.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 7 hours later

Thanks for the query.

You are partly correct that the climate change is worsening your asthma control and this is more so if you have specific allergies to tree/grass/weed pollens that are specific in Broomfield, CO than those in India.

The current pollen counts for all aeroallergens (environmental) can be found on several websites, and an example is WWW.WWWW.WW where you can see the pollen forecast.
Several tree pollens are endemic to Colorado and are not in India. I suggest getting the entire list of allergens tested when you visit your allergist. This can be done with a blood test called the specific IgE test against the specific aeroallergen.

As far as your inhaler and control of asthma, you must be keeping a record of your peak flow readings and if your current peak flow is steadily dropping (morning/evening), you will have to increase the dose. Do visit your Chest Physician or asthma clinic for guidance and the usual change is increasing from 250 to 500 for 2-3 weeks. Viral induced asthma is also a possibility in your case especially after the long haul flight.

If the peak flow is <50% of your best, then you will need to visit your nearest ER.

I hope that was useful. Let me know if there are other enquiries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor