Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

What medicine is best for restless legs syndrome ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I have restless legs cyndrome what can I do esp at night I toss and turn all the time ,but when i sleep its Ok ,its just when i get into bed then it starts esp between my legs at the knees in the middle its horrible feeling almost like a burning sensation...I am 62yrs old female.I am on no medication.I had this problem now for about 3yrs and yet the doctors say just take 2 panadols when you go to bed...thats not good enough it really makes me not want to go to bed.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 44 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the medical query.

I do understand your frustration regarding the lack of proper diagnosis and specific treatment.

From the description of your symptoms they could be due to Restless Leg syndrome.

Restless leg syndrome is a disorder in which there is an urge or need to move the legs to stop unpleasant sensations which can result in a decreased quality of sleep (insomnia). This lack of sleep can lead to daytime sleepiness, anxiety or depression, and confusion or slowed thought processes.

First and foremost, to proceed ahead, you might consult a doctor who you trust to help you out. Once he examines you , he might get a few tests done to rule out peripheral nerve disease XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, RLS is diagnosed, treatment can be initiated to provide you symptomatic relief.

Treatment in Restless Leg Syndrome aims to reduce stress and helping the muscles relax.
Some medications that can be prescribed by your doctor include pramipexole or ropinirole (Requip) which will reduce your symptoms entirely.

Additional supportive measures that might help you out include -
1. Warm baths ;
2. Gentle stretching exercises
3. Massages can help relieve the symptoms to some extent.

You might consult a neurologist and put forth your issues to him. He might understand your situation and take up interventions to help you out.

I hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor