Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

What medicine is best for itchy red and distended rash due to insect bite ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2348 Questions
I have an insect bite on my wrist. I was just sitting in the grass, so i'm not too sure what kind of insect it was. A few hours later, it became very distended, dark red, and warm, and was spreading to about my elbow area. I did go to emerg, they gave my iv antibiotic, they did an ultrasound and said there was no fluid underneath at the bite spot. They said I have a soft tissue infection. They also gave me 500mg of Apo-Cephalex to take 4x a day for 7 days. I'm now finishing day 4. I noticed some improvement, it certainly is not as red or distended, it is still warm, but still goes to my elbow, and is even more itchy. I don't have very good luck usually when it comes to antibiotics, and am practically bed ridden due to a severe headache from the antibiotic. I do not see this being gone after 7 days. Is there another type of antibiotic that would work better? I am allergic to amoxicillin. thanks.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 39 minutes later

Thanks for the query

If you are allergic to Amoxycillin, you can try higher group of antibiotics such as Cephalosporins. The antibiotic you are already taking is Cephalexin, which belongs to Cephalosporin group of drugs. But, if you have discontinued then there are chances of you developing resistance to that drug. There are only couple of antibiotics which can be taken for 3-5 days and for rest of the antibiotics the course is always for 7-12days.

I can understand that, any antibiotics you take, headache is for sure. But in that case, doctors will have limited options in treating you unless you do not have any other side effects.

Hence, I would suggest you to reconsider the antibiotic course after discussing with your doctor. Also, taken an antihistaminic (meant for allergy) to reduce the itching. You can try applying a local antibiotic application over the infected site, which will help in healing faster.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts please feel free to contact.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor