Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

What medicine can I take for an itchy rash in the anal region ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
i have a rash on my taint/anal region. It is itchy. I have been sexually active with two people. I am a 19 year old female.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 51 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Rash on the anal region can be due to skin conditions as dermatitis, allergy or infection.

Since you have sexual contact with two people possibility of STD can also be suspected especially if either of the partner was infected.

If the rash is sore, itchy, associated with pain, lump like, burning during urination and has any discharge then it can be indicative of any infection and requires evaluation.

Sometimes just itching can also be due to fungal infection and requires antifungal creams as Cotrimazole.

Some measures for you:

1)Apply icepack on the area and then observe for any changes.

2)Apply calamine lotion for relief from itching.

3)Keep the area dry and apply Neosporin powder after consulting your Primary Physician.

If the symptoms persist or associated with discharge etc then consider visiting your Healthcare Professional for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What medicine can I take for an itchy rash in the anal region ? 1 hour later
Can you please give me a list of what kind of stds I can expect my doctor to say that it is, if it is one? thank you
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 26 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

It is usually corelated with the symptoms and after evaluation it is decided which one is the individual more prone to but in my opinion you can get tested for Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia which are more common in persons with multiple partners.

It is usually tested after taking a swab from the cervical region.

If there is any blister/ulcer formation then get it tested for Herpes .Also advisable to do AIDS test to those who has multiple partners without protection.

Usually it is based on the Physician's discreetion which tests he requests for after evaluation.

Wishing you Good Health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What medicine can I take for an itchy rash in the anal region ? 6 hours later
Thank you so much for all of your help. I tried using baby powder in my panties and the rash pretty much cleared up. Does that rule anything out?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks again for writing

If there has been improvement in the rash with the baby powder then allergy is more likely the cause. Allergic conditions should subside in a day or so.

Kindly follow the suggestions mentioned previously.
You can wait for few days for it to subside.

Watch out for recurrence of symptoms or development of any new symptoms. Physical examination and evaluation is entailed if recurrence or new symptoms occur.

Wishing you Good health!

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor