What medications effectively treat a dry cough?
Kindly send details of symptoms
A dry cough after the flu usually gets better in a few days by itself. No specific medication is necessary.
If there is difficulty in breathing then syrup Asthalin can be given 2 times a day.
If the difficulty of breathing is there for a long time then an inhaler will be needed.
Steam inhalation will definitely help but is to be given with precaution not to burn the skin.
If its a hypersensitivity or asthma type of a cough then treatment is needed.
So kindly let me know his symptoms in detail. Does he have any difficulty in breathing during the cough episode?
How many cough episodes during the 24 hrs? Is there absolutely no mucus production? Since how long are the symptoms present? Any other symptoms?
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Ok, can wait and watch.
It's good that the baby does not have difficulty breathing. We can safely wait and watch.
In case the sleepless nights are troublesome then some cough suppressants available that will suppress a cough and also sedate the baby for the night.
One such is a combination of chlorpheniramine and dextromethorphan (many brands are available like Aerodil-dx or CHERICOF COUGH FORMULA syrup, Cheritop, etc).
It can be given before sleeping, keeping the dose on the lower side.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Vaishalee Punj, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes a dry cough
- How is dry cough treated
- Drugs/medication for dry cough
- Suggest the medication for dry cough
- What is the rason for dry cough
- How to treat dry coughs and headaches
- What is the remedy for dry cough
- How to treat persistent dry cough
- What is the treatment for dry cough
- What is the suggested medication for dry cough
- Breathlessness, dizziness. Have PVCs. When do you know they are causing...
- Having abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. On antitubercular...
- Baby started teething. Diet plan to increase weight?
- Having protected sex. Started spotting before period. Taking midol for...
- Broke my distal fibula. On elavil for cold feet. Having sensory nerve...
- Took regestrone for hyperplacia. Again started with irregular and heavy...
- Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed...
- What is the normal penis size in flaccid and erect state?
- Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile...
- Taking lupron. Feeling weak and started sweating. What is the underlying...