What medications are effective at treating an intermittent fever with UTI?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Uti symptoms, with slight lower grade fever on and off during the day, chills on and off. Slight burning when urinating. No pain in the back, just almost a tickle feeling in my private area.
Feeling fine otherwise. Did a home urine test and was positive. Trying to cure it by herbal remedies. Should I be worried about the chills and spreading it into my kidneys? I had my first uti 5 months ago and had the chills and fever too. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

It is better to take antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:

Since it is your second UTI episode in such a short period and you are experiencing chills and fever intermittently. It will be better to take antibiotics (like Nitrofurantoin) to treat the infection.

Given your age and absence of other medical conditions, it is unlikely that infection will spread to kidneys.

However, antibiotics are needed to completely clear up the infection. So please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation and management

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee