What medications are effective at increasing beard growth?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My beard doesn't grow at all and if it has to grow it grows towards neck from chin and I don't get complete moustache, from sideburns till the chin on both sides, I don't even have hair at all.

Could you please help me on my case
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Need some more information

Detailed Answer:

Has it always been this way? Or earlier you used to get hair growth in these areas?

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 11 minutes later
I don’t have hair at all from side burns to chin on both sides anytime in life and I am 28 now, if I leave my hair and it it grow it grows like thick stubble and grows from chin towards neck and cover all over the chin area and it will have thickness.

I think the facial hair growth direction is different and the hair follicles from side burns to chin area am not sure if they are dead by now
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 27 hours later
Brief Answer:

Regarding beard growrh

Detailed Answer:

Hair growth in the beard region is male hormone-dependent just like axilla and pubic hair growth. Testosterone is the male hormone.
Do you have normal axillary and pubic hair?

You may take a lab test for serum testosterone level (free and total) apart from a thorough physical examination including that of genitals for testicular volume and size, height, weight.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
So I have normal to good amount of hair on my
(axillary areas) and public areas like chest hand and legs and other parts there are good amount of hairs else than chest part where it is not there.

On the bread areAs and moustache the hair will grow, justbthat it isn’tcovered completely throughout the sideburns cheeks and chest
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 24 hours later
Brief Answer:

Try topical minoxidil 5 %solution

Detailed Answer:

You may try using minoxidil 5 % solution, once every alternate day on the affected areas on the face. Minoxidil is a hair growth stimulator.

In addition to this, I suggest you take an oral biotin supplement e.g tab. Revilus or tab. Hvit forte once daily.

Follow this for at least 6 months. However, if it doesn't prove effective you may then consider beard hair transplant.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 30 minutes later
I will follow what was suggested.
Can I also use derma roller on beard area along with minoxidil as I heard it was effective? please confirm the usability
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Use minoxidil 5 %solution

Detailed Answer:

First, I would suggest just minoxidil topical solution. Dermaroller can be used later if there is a positive response to minoxidil.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kakkar S., Dermatologist