What medication can be taken to reduce the swelling in the tongue?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: woke up at 1am half my tongue is swollen what could be the cause and what can I take to reduce the swelling?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A number of causes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but tongue swelling could be due to a number of causes , the most common of which is allergic reaction or injury from hot foods or drinks.. So, you did right by taking an antihistaminic to relieve the swelling if the cause was an allergic reaction. if no improvement occurred then you will need to go to the hospital for a corticosteroid or epinephrine injection ..
other causes of swollen tongue include infections either bacterial or fungal , but this should be accompanied with fever or tongue discoloration..
Also another possible cause is iron or vitamin d difficiency so I would recommend that you take a blood test for hemoglobin and vitamin d levels in blood.. I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana