What medication can be given for cold and cough in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 30 Nov 2018 in Child Health
Question: My Son is 11 months old, his weight is 11 kg.
He is having bad cold and cough. Could you please suggest any medicine for temporary relief.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to a viral infection with an allergic component.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication like Atarax (hydroxizine), and saline nasal drops for blocked nose.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 50 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.

I hope that I could clear your doubts. Usually, the symptoms resolve in a week or so.

Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad