Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

What kind of food to be given for a 1 year old?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1803 Questions
My one year baby girl keeps food in her mouth and doesn't enjoy food. Recently she was given taximo for stomach infection. She also throws food sometime. I am not sure whether her food habit worsens after the antibiotic dose. Her teeth has not come up yet. We are giving her semi liquid food. Please suggest what can we do and what food should give her. Whether solid food can be given.
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
continue with semi liquid food

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
Antibiotics do cause some common side effects like nausea vomiting and loss of appetite.
It should settle down in a couple of days after stopping it.
Until then it's absolutely fine to give only semi liquid diet.
Make sure your child passes atleast six times urine in a day.
Zinc at20 mg per day for 10 days should be given for all stomach bugs. This will help in faster recovery.
Wishing the same
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What kind of food to be given for a 1 year old? 27 minutes later
but why she keeps food her in mouth? how should we make her food more interesting so that she accepts. What can be her diet chart.
Answered by Dr. Arun 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alteration of taste

Detailed Answer:
Antibiotics do affect the taste buds. So she may not like to swallow. To make it more acceptable takes repeated efforts to understand what she likes and coating the foods with the flavour she likes.
Her diet should include all home made foods which you eat. Say for example cereals and pulses with oil thrice a day. Three servings of vegetables and one or two servings of fruits should be given as snacks . One egg per day should be given if not pulses .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor