What kind of food to be given for a 1 year old?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My one year baby girl keeps food in her mouth and doesn't enjoy food. Recently she was given taximo for stomach infection. She also throws food sometime. I am not sure whether her food habit worsens after the antibiotic dose. Her teeth has not come up yet. We are giving her semi liquid food. Please suggest what can we do and what food should give her. Whether solid food can be given.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
continue with semi liquid food

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Antibiotics do cause some common side effects like nausea vomiting and loss of appetite.
It should settle down in a couple of days after stopping it.
Until then it's absolutely fine to give only semi liquid diet.
Make sure your child passes atleast six times urine in a day.
Zinc at20 mg per day for 10 days should be given for all stomach bugs. This will help in faster recovery.
Wishing the same
Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Arun 27 minutes later
but why she keeps food her in mouth? how should we make her food more interesting so that she accepts. What can be her diet chart.
Answered by Dr. Arun 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alteration of taste

Detailed Answer:
Antibiotics do affect the taste buds. So she may not like to swallow. To make it more acceptable takes repeated efforts to understand what she likes and coating the foods with the flavour she likes.
Her diet should include all home made foods which you eat. Say for example cereals and pulses with oil thrice a day. Three servings of vegetables and one or two servings of fruits should be given as snacks . One egg per day should be given if not pulses .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju