Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

What kind of diet should I give for my father taking lasix for congestive heart failure?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
My dad is 96 yrs old, 5'11, with 3rd bout of bacterial pneumonia in 5months. Has fairly gd appetite but has also developed CHF needing Lasix several times/eek. What sort of diet would be best as one way to help him heal? He usually has cereal, juice and coffee for brkfst...or an egg w/1_2 slices of toast; lunch is bowl of misc homemade soup plus a sandwich, and a cookie with 4 oz 1%milk. For supper we gen'ly have fresh fruit, meat with potato or rice,sometimes a small salad or streamed veggie, and a piece of pie. I know he needs to eat more to heal. Not a fan of Ensure or other related supplements. Likes root beer floats as hs snack, maybe some nuts. Plus, I keep candy near his chair at all times so can gat a few extra calories that way. Any suggestions?
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: What is appealing to him Detailed Answer: Dear daughter, l Thanks for the query. It is a blessing to have had dad for so many years. I understand now that he has started in home hospice cares less than 2 weeks ago, which appears as a totally-reasonable choice given his spiral of medical events. I wish more patients and families chose this route when there is s steep health decline, as it can allow for better quality of life on the last stretch of the journey. In terms of his diet, at this point it should be liberalized. As him what is appealing to him, what he likes, something that he has not had in a while and would like to try... indulging him with what he wants is probably the best way for him to get stronger and happy at home. Hope this helps, wish you both the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Cardiology Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor