What is vagus nerve stimulation?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: what is a Vegas nerv stimulator? go in depth
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
VNS is used for treating refractory epilepsy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) is a procedure done, for treating patients with refractory epilepsy.

Refractory epilepsy means those patients, whose epilepsy can not be adequately controlled with highest dose of multiple oral medications.

In addition, VNS is also used for treating medication-resistant depression.

The device is implanted by a surgical procedure under the skin over the left chest, and a wire is connected to the vagus nerve in the neck. It is a minor procedure and can be done on outpatient basis.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
sometimes patience must be sedated in order to have outpatient procedures done, if that is the case can we be requested to be admitted overnight rather than go home that same day so that we are not all groggy and have the chance of falling in the hospital if we end up driving and have nobody to drive us home?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The decision can be taken by the surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Generally, admission is not needed, as no sedation is necessary.

However, if the patient is anxious or non-co-operative, then, sedation may be needed. The decision to admit overnight, then, can be taken by the surgeon, in consultation with the patient.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 days later
Dr. XXXXXXX u ever heard of a shunt going from the head to the
lung?? where's the water going??
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have not heard of that.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I have only heard of ventriculo-peritoneal shunt, where the water from brain goes to cavity around the abdomen.

I have not heard of a shunt from head to the lungs.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta