Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What is uterine prolapse ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Hi there
Firstly i am 44 and 5ft 4, slim and approx 9 stones.
I appear to have a big protruding big red/pink balloon like shape down below, which I can see without problems just by using a mirror. I have had this more or less since had my daughter and she is now 5 yrs old.
Can you help?
Mon, 7 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 27 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Can you give me a few more details about your problem

1.Do you mean there is a protrusion in your vaginal area?
2.Did you have a vaginal delivery?
3.Any problems during labor?
4.When does the bulge appear?all the time or on coughing,straining?
5.Any leakage of urine etc?
6.Have you seen a doctor?

Awaiting your reply.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is uterine prolapse ? 12 hours later
Thankyou for getting back to me.
Its not exactly a protrusion all the time, more like something large trying to escape from something small. Down below it looks very full and feels very full but it usually is slightly better in the morning and gets worse as the day goes on.
I did have a few problems during childbirth which caused me to have a forceps delivery and a lot of stitches. Since then I have had a smear test and although this was around 7/9 months after I gave birth I was assured at this time everything was Ok.
As for the leakage of urine I sometimes do have a slight leak sometimes and no I have not seen anyone about this.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 hours later
Ok thanks for the reply.

I believe that you may be having a uterine prolapse or a cystocele (partial prolapse of the bladder).This can be confirmed by examination. Treatment is possible by exercise and surgery depending on the degree of prolapse.

You need to be examined by a gynaecologist for the diagnosis. This may be a problem/complication of prolonged/difficult labour.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor