What is type 2 non displaced ondontoid fracture?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 6 Jun 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: what is a type II non displaced ondontoid fracture? Does this cause paralasis?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is break in odontoid process of C 2 vertebra

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

In type 2 undisplaced odontoid fracture there is break in odontoid process of C 2 vertebra from base.
Yes it can lead to quadriparesis if there is high velocity trauma or shear forces were more during trauma.

I will advise you MRI spine and if there is any cord compression with limb weakness then you may need decompression.
Decompression is necessary if neurological deficit or bladder involvement is there.
This is unstable fracture and you may need fixation.

Later on follow rehabilitation and physiotherapy.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.