Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

What is treatment for cough in children?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 3614 Questions
My son is coughing so much he almost passe out and choked on food. He threw up and could not breath. Been to the doctor twice. On antibiotics and cough meds but not working. has had it for three weeks. Has clear lungs and no fever.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acute non productive cough, CUAS & Asthma Detailed Answer: Good Day Sir! My name is Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with the issue of persistent cough for 3 weeks with your son which leads to choking and breathing difficulties. Madam as you mentioned in the history that the baby is allergic to dust mite, this cough gets multidiretional in etiologies in which asthma and chronic upper airway syndromes and allergic bronchitis are on the top.Presence of gastroesophageal reflux may also lead to cough and these associated symptoms. Absence of gag Reflex might also present with these symptoms. With clear lungs and no fever i wonder why antibiotics then. If the kid is not responding to cough medicines and antibiotics for 3 weeks, this is the time for some work up. Age of 16 is too young to have some serious issue, All it needs is a relief from cough and that would be possible once the trigger is found.And finding that needs some work up. I want you to visit near by otorhinolaryngologist and pulmonologist for sorting out the etiology for the cough. Meanwhile you can try codein, dextromethorphans, Garlic water gargles, aspirin gargles and bronchodilators for the relief. Too early to mention diagnosis. Needs work up before saying any thing. Hope this answer finds you in good faith. Kindly do as directed and let me know if any further queries you have. Please close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Regards Dr S Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor