• question-icon

What is to be done to avoid burning sensation during urination and recurrent UTI?

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2019 in General Health
Question: Ifelt burning sensation during urination, i got the urine cultured and found there infection of klebsheila pneumoniae, and it was sensitive to only amikacin leaving many others, my doctor suggested me 02 amikacin of 500mg perday for 7 days, it was ok, i got relief, but after 3months,again i felt the same symptoms during urination, i am again taking amikacin. Recurrence i have been experiencing the same since 5 yrs, pl. Advise what to do to avoid any damage to. Kidney and to get rid from the uti soon. Thanking you sir.
Answered by Dr. Shyam B. Kale 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer below for recurrent UTI.

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern. Common causes of recurrent urinary tract infection are benign prostate hyperplasia, diabetes, bladder stone, cystitis, not drinking enough fluids, recurrent exposure to infection like STDs. Let me know whether do you have blood in urine, abdominal pain? Kindly follow up with detailed history.

I'd suggest you to do urine routine, culture and sensitivity, CT abdomen and pelvis, random blood sugar level to rule out other possibilities. Along with antibiotics you can take tab. urikind 200 mg, and syp. Cital 10 ml. Drink lot of fluids. Urinate when you feel, Don't hold it. Keep your private parts clean. I think this will clarify your concern. Take care.

Dr Shyam Kale
Family and general physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shyam B. Kale 2 hours later
Thanks sir, i have blood sugar level fastening 111 and pp 191 d/l on yesterday, no abdominal pain and no blood in urine, is it ok to take amikacin 500mg twice in a day.
Answered by Dr. Shyam B. Kale 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly do HbA1c. Continue inj. Amikacin. See details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome back.

I can understand your concern. Your fasting and postprandial sugar levels are on higher side. Kindly do HbA1c, if not done earlier. Diabetes may be one of the cause of repeated urinary tract infection. Kindly consult with diabetologist.

You can continue inj. Amikacin as per your urine culture sensitivity report. Kindly do all measures as suggested earlier. I think this will clarify your concern.

Dr Shyam Kale
Family and general physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shyam B. Kale