What is to be done if dettol accidentally went into eyes ?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: 12 years child, while cleaning dettol went into eyes what i have to do . it occured around 9.30 pm yesterday night
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wash the eye and use antibiotic eye drops.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history while cleaning dettol went into the eyes of a 12 years old child.
Dettol is an antiseptic agent and this can cause irritation of the eye and corneal epithelial defect on coming in contact with the surface of eye.
The first thing to be done is washing the eye with water. The treatment is by use of antibiotic eye drops like moxifloxacin eye drops and artificial tears for 2-3 days.
If there is pain, redness, watering, blurring of vision.... all these indicate corneal epithelial defect and require examination and treatment under guidance of eye Doctor.

Hence as of now you need to use antibiotic eye drops and artificial tears. If there are symptoms you need to consult your eye doctor.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards