Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

What is to be done if dettol accidentally went into eyes ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
12 years child, while cleaning dettol went into eyes what i have to do . it occured around 9.30 pm yesterday night
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wash the eye and use antibiotic eye drops.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history while cleaning dettol went into the eyes of a 12 years old child.
Dettol is an antiseptic agent and this can cause irritation of the eye and corneal epithelial defect on coming in contact with the surface of eye.
The first thing to be done is washing the eye with water. The treatment is by use of antibiotic eye drops like moxifloxacin eye drops and artificial tears for 2-3 days.
If there is pain, redness, watering, blurring of vision.... all these indicate corneal epithelial defect and require examination and treatment under guidance of eye Doctor.

Hence as of now you need to use antibiotic eye drops and artificial tears. If there are symptoms you need to consult your eye doctor.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor