• question-icon

What is the window period for an HIV test?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: i had contact with someone who HIV+ in July 2015.(oral sex, kissing and she sucked main, on December i just know that i did combo test which is for both the HIV I and II antibodies and the p24 antigeN. and it was negtive... I have done it again in 10/02/2016 and it was negtive as well. My questions is that combo reliable test or ELISA? and what i should do know ?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The combo test is definitely reliable and conclusive.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your query and understand the concern you are worried about.

You had exposure in july and the combo test came negative in december and february then it is highly reliable and 100% conclusive because the window period also varies from 15 days to 3 months.

You are absolutely safe and free from HIV so calm down and forget about the incidence. Stay happy and healthy. Hope this info will help you. For any further query you can get back to me any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Thank you so much for answering :).

just one more question , Is Kissing and scuking can transmited the disease?

Thank you so much i feel better now :)

Regard
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The risk is very less.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

The risk of getting HIV from oral sex is very less as compared to vaginal or anal sex and kissing is no risk activity at all so don't worry and move ahead.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist