What is the window period for HIV?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had unprotected viginal sex on 7th May 2016, i got tested on 19th XXXXXXX 2016 (6 weeks) result non-reactive, again i got tested on 2nd August 2016 (after 12 weeks on 87th day) result non-reactive, method of test is IMMUNOCHROMATOGRAPHY. i am really worried, do i have to still worry? i am having flue for last 2-3 days, no fever. (request don't disclose my concern to anyone)
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are free from HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HCM.

You had unprotected vaginal sex but the test result after 12 weeks is negative then you need not to worry at all because the window period for HIV also varies from 15 days to 3 months so just calm down and forget about the episode as the risk of getting HIV in your case is nil. You are absolutely safe and risk free.

Flu like symptoms are mostly due to seasonal viral illness nothing more. Consult your physician and follow the treatment regime for the same. As your friend I will also advice you to stay away from such unsafe sexual practices to prevent future risk of HIV and other STDs. For any further query feel free to ask me.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 42 minutes later
Sir, thankz for your prompt answer, only concern is :
1. The method of test which is IMMUNOCHROMATOGRAPHY in my case, this is really acurate?
2. what is the diffenence between 12week (84 days) and 3 months (90 days) window period, although i got tested on 87th day from SRL laboratory.
3. Report attached, plz have a look
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No concern at all.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

Immunochromatography is definitely accurate and there is no difference between 12 weeks or 3 months. SRL laboratory is also reputed one so nothing to doubt on the accuracy of the result. Be relaxed and move ahead in life happily.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 49 minutes later
Sir, thankz alot one request plz don't disclose my concern to XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Yes sure.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back once again.

Don't get worried as I will not disclose your issues with any one else so just relax, forget the episode and move ahead in life happily with your family.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 30 hours later
Sir,
Do i have to get tested again? or the report of 87th day is conclusive?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need of further test.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

You need not to get tested again because result of 87th day is definitely conclusive so just calm down and move ahead in life happily with your family.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 10 hours later
Thankz Sir
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

You are most welcome if needed any time and I am always available here to help you straight way.

Thank You