What is the window period for HIV test?
Comes out negative? Or am i 100% hiv free?
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
At six months if HIV antibodies are negative by ELISA, then you don't have HIV. It holds true for 99.99 % cases. At this point no further testing should be done and the person is termed HIV free. In my clinical practice I am yet to come across a case which tested false negative at six months on ELISA.
Wishing you best of health
Let me know if you have any query
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below
Dr. M.S. Khalil
It's related to the sensitivity of the test. 99.99 percent is a very high percentage meaning it's virtually impossible for the test to be false negative at this stage.
For confirmation Elisa abs from two different labs can be done which would confirm the test beyond any doubt.
No, oraquick is not as sensitive as an ELISA antibody test. I would advise ELISA HIV antibodies.
Two tests from two different labs would suffice.
Negative antibodies with no viral load at 6 months means you are HIV free. It does not mean you are STD free.
For STDs you need to get an STD panel done.
The reason is that the virus can lie dormant, it has to replicate and infect more colonies of helper T cells.
Yes, even if the antibody test is negative, which is almost impossible at 6 months, there will be enough of a viral load to detect.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is actual time of hiv test
- Negative hiv test what is window period
- What is coi in hiv test
- What is the window period for hiv test
- What is the true window period for hiv test
- What is the hiv test
- What are the findings from the hiv test
- What is elcia hiv test
- What is rapid hiv test
- Hiv tests shortest window period
- What causes weight gain inspite of being on Effexor for depression?
- What does twinging sensation in and around stomach indicate?
- Suggest treatment for pressure under lower left rib cage
- Suggest treatment for scleroderma
- Is Stematil safe with Sertraline?
- What causes low MPV?
- Does drinking excess water lead to reduced kidney function?
- Does Claritin Redi medication cause lymphadenopathy?
- Can hepatitis-C be contracted through a cut wound in the hand?
- What causes numbness in legs and face after taking steroid injections in...