What is the window period for HIV test?

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had unprotected sex in late january early february and was tested on August 27th for hiv and the results were negative. Can I trust these results and quit worrying?
Also I noticed my gums were white in an area where my wisdom tooth and another tooth was cut out. Could that be scar tissue? It's not oral hairy leukoplakia is it?
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can trust HIV test 100%.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

As you told that about 6 months have passed since last exposure and test was negative. Yes 100% you can rely on the results. You must not worry about HIV infection anymore. No further testing recommended. There is nothing to get worried in your oral examination as it is nothing specific like leucoplakia. Keep oral hygiene maintained and gargle using chlorhexidine mouthwash twice daily. Get oral examination done by a dentist.

Hope I answered your query
Rating and review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar