What is the window period for HIV antibody?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: sir do i need hiv test because i had a sex encounter with spa girl in XXXXXXX westbengal XXXXXXX 2 months ago that was my first and last unprotected sex but i was having no std earlierneither she is but i am unware of her status because she might be telling lie. Nor do ihave flu like symptom after exposure but still confused that do i need tested because i m straight man without any drug addiction i only drink alcohol and sometime cigratte....pls suggest me do i need to get hiv tested
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to get tested after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

As such the risk of contracting HIV from single unprotected exposure is very less specially when the status of partner is unknown so don't get worried. You need to go for HIV testing after 3 months to relieve your anxiety and to get the accurate result. Be relaxed, forget the episode and get back to me with report.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 15 hours later
But what are my chances of getting hiv
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very less.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

Your chances of getting HIV are very less from single unprotected sex with partner of unknown status so allay the fear or anxiety related to HIV and go for testing at 3 months with 4th gen Dous test to get 100% conclusive and accurate result.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 7 hours later
is hiv test reliable i mean i didnot search for main hiv virus it search for antibody only and antibody can occur during flu common cold fever ,I have also heard frompeople that they become hiv positive even though he was negative.....
and if hiv is so than why porn actor are not catching the virus

is hiv hard to get fro woman,.....
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not the fact.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

It is HIV antibody which appears in the blood within three months of infection thats why any HIV test is considered conclusive after this window period. Be relaxed and go for HIV testing after 3 months.

It is not hard but easy to get HIV from women and it is also not the fact that porn actors didn't get HIV even with risky behaviours so don't take it wrongly. Avoid searching too much because you may have false information and get confused with all these.

Thank You