Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

What is the window period and tests to check if I have contracted HIV after unsafe sex ?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12750 Questions

please help me and my family
hello Doctor Iam XXXXXXX 41 married had unsafe sex exposure with a girlfriend in March last week between March 24th to March 29th 2012. After that i had sex with My wife 2-3 times. now am afraid whether i have HIV or not? when can i check for HIV very soon its urgent sir, i cant tell this to my wife please......... i dint use condoms when i had Unsafe sex with a known girl, will my wife gets HIV? now in my last sex with my wife she developed irritations burning sensation in her vagina, whats the reason? she is healthy she dont have any bad history. even i did oral sucking on that girl friend will i get any disease? if i take that girl for HIV test thats better? how soon i can check HIV status of mine? how can i test my wifes HIV status without her knowledge? please tell me am in big tension please sir
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Since you had an unprotected sex with a girl of unknown HIV status, your chances of getting an infection are present if the girl is infected.
You can opt for initial screening of blood with an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) to detect antibodies to HIV-1 infection both for yourself and your friend.
The test may show accuracy after 6 weeks to 6 months as HIV antibodies take time to develop in the body.
In case the test is negative then you can get yourself tested every 3 months till six months after exposure to be very sure.
Since it is a blood test you cant get the test done for your wife without her knowledge.
Having a burning sensation in the vagina does not indicate HIV. It can happen due to local vaginal infection or a urinary infection.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the window period and tests to check if I have contracted HIV after unsafe sex ? 8 hours later
Hello sir,

thanks for reply, sir can i get tested after 1.5 month from date of unprotected sex i had? what are the possibilities me getting HIV positive according to general trend? i had only one hour of unsafe sex with that Girl in my life. will i get sir? How can i prevent it? will i get STD diseases from her? how to check for that? will my wife gets STD? how to check her STD test without knowing her. sir am really in Mental tension. if i get HIV positive can i lead normal life can i cure with Powerful medicine

what precautions i can take to prevent HIV. do i need to test that girl also as u said? if her is negative am i safe?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
You need to get your ELISA test done now, at 4.5 months and after 6 months of exposure. If all the tests are negative then there is nothing to worry. The chances of getting HIV after a single exposure are less than 0.5% even if the girl is heavily infected. So, please do not worry.
Since there are no clinical signs and symptoms present of any STDs till now, an STD is an unlikely possibility.
In future, you can avoid having unsafe sex and avoid having multiple partners.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the window period and tests to check if I have contracted HIV after unsafe sex ? 4 hours later
sir last question, what should i tell to testing people or clinic people.

tell me scientific name of that test elisa you said.
will they understand if i say i want elisa test?

pls sir thanks you so much now iam little relax
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
You can ask for ELISA test for HIV. They will do the test in full confidentiality. Please do not worry.
Wish you a good health.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor