What is the wax type paste on lips in morning?

Question
Hello in the mornings when I wake up there is a hard white wax type paste that I must scrape off lips, but this morning my lips were covered in thick white foam any ideas
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion, poor hydration sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Let me start by listing the most common causes for a white foamy/pasty/gooey/layered appearance on the lips in the morning, and then explain why and which of these causes is most likely the cause for your presentation sir. They are:

-Dehydration/Dry mouth: The most common cause for a presentation like yours and also the most likely one in your case. The causes for this are cold climate, infections (like common cold), and poor dehydration especially during the second half of the day. All you need to do is drink plenty of water till at least an hour before bed time, and keep a bottle of water next to your bed

-Infections (Eg. thrush): But please note that these infections have many accompanying symptoms like a thick white coat on your tongue, gastric symptoms, etc.

-Medications: Side effect of medications you are on, and as you are not on any, this cause is also ruled out

Please try keeping yourself hydrated and if at all the same continues after at least one month of good adequate hydration, write back to me and I shall guide you from there on sir. But in my opinion it is most probably poor hydration that is causing your symptoms sir.

Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications sir, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.