What is the use of zobone injection?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: why zobone injection is given? my mother 74 yr old - was given 3 time ; one each year. whether this need to be repeated this year also?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Zolendronic acid given for Osteoporosis Detailed Answer: Hi, Zobone is given for fragile bone disease. Your mother would have lost the mineralization of the bone and fragile. it can break easily. It is because of her age and loss of hormones in the blood. Though osteoporosis (fragile bone) is commonly noticed at this age, the doctor is trying to prevent fractures because simple injuries that can happen at this age. It is left to the guardians, the patient whether to continue or not. You can discuss this with the doctor and decide. I am not sure the effectiveness of this drug after 75 yrs of age. You can discuss this with the doctor as well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 days later
my mother was given 3 times in the year 2010/2011/2012. if , at all , it is to be repeated , she is to given this month . It is costing 2600/+. quite costly medicine. cost is not a big issue, but , at this age, the medicine should not create any other problems. may pl advise your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: If cost is not issue, pl continue Detailed Answer: Hi, If you do not have any issue with the cost I'd suggest you to continue as there are no additional side effects that arise. Hope this clarifies.