What is the turn over rate of collagen in brain?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear Doctor ,

what would be the turnover rate of collagen in brain?

I ask because in case steroids i took helped make collagen in my brain. would collagen in my brain at age 14 still be around today ( the same actual one) ?

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Collagen turnover rate very long.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Collagen is the main structural protein that is not found in normal brain tissue.

Collagen may be found in repairing areas of damaged brain tissue.

Collagen half-life is very-very long, thus turnover too, (approximately 100 years), so, if there is evidence of collagen presence in your brain, it is still there and there will be.

Hope this helps. I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 20 minutes later
so what if the steroids i took helped to form new collagen? this means the steroids has had a permanent effect ( if that collagen is still around today)
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If present in your brain, collagen is still there.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back XXXXXXX

As I said before, collagen may accumulate in brain, if there was a previous damage of brain tissue.

If steroids in a way helped accumulating collagen in your brain, it is still there.

Hope I helped you. Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical