Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment to increase platelet and white blood cell counts?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
My dad has low platelet and low white blood cell counts so has no energy and feels sick all the time. The leading hematologist in his city has done a bone marrow biopsy and other tests and said that the results were normal, that he should just have regular blood tests. Yet, that doesn't make him feel better. What should he talk to his family doctor about doing next?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Common in Octagenarian Detailed Answer: We find low platelet and low WBC counts in an octagenarian commonly. It would not be right to subject them to further tests unnecessarily. I am happy that the Bone marrow tests were found negative. We should accept the fact that he would not be having protein in the body as much as he had earlier. Proteins are the building blocks of the body and they make a lot cell components. So just keep giving him lean protein, fish as well in the diet. Legumes and dairy products are important. I suggest you to find a Geriatrics Specialist in your area than a normal Family doctor.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor